Monday, August 10, 2009

Why bother?

Last year, in the months before the presidential election, I read a great deal about the man who was to become President of the United States (POTUS) - Barack Obama. One small book, Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky, spoke volumes to me about this man. Candidate Obama's experience as a community organizer was an important part of resume. I didn't know what "community organizer" meant - oh I had an idea - but I really didn't understand until I read Rules for Radicals (RFR). Last fall, I carried the book around with me and begged people to read it; most, however, thought I was just a crazy woman. Why did I care about a book that was written nearly forty years ago and what did it have to do with the election? With careful reading - the book reveals much about about the man, Barack Obama. RFR is the foundation of community organizing and one cannot understand this man, if one does not understand community organizing.

Now, these months later, media talking heads mention RFR. I can tell though, most have not read it. They are only quoting parts and pieces - and that from others who have read it.

So - I decided to read RFR on a blog. I will make comments; but, I am not a political scientist. I just hope others will begin to read RFR, buy a copy of their own - I think I paid $14 for it - and form their own opinions about the community organizer who is President of the United States . . . Barack Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment